The Advanced Patient Search is a powerful tool for generating patient reports and lists based on your custom criteria.
You can find it under Admin > Advanced Patient Search. Clicking on Advanced Patient Search or on Filtered Search in the submenu will open up a search window with many different filter options. Select one or multiple criteria to generate a list of matching patients in a printable and/ or a CSV (spreadsheet) download.
Note: this new and improved version of the Advanced Patient Search is in the process of being rolled out to all Cerbo builds in Nov/ Dec 2019. If you don't already have it, don't worry! It's coming to you soon.
Filter/ Search Options
You can filter/ search by one or more of the following. If you select multiple different search criteria, the search results will show patients that match ALL of the criteria (except where indicated specifically otherwise below and in the search window).
Search by sex, age, birth month, day, or year, primary assigned provider, location.
Search/ filter by whether, within a specific period of time, the patient did or did not:
- Have any appointment, have their first appointment, or have a specific type of appointment or appointment with a specific provider.
- Receive services (have any encounter note) or have a physical visit (have an encounter note of a type marked as "in person").
- Register/ get added to the system.
- Have any charges or payments added to their account.
Information on File
Look for patients that do or do not have insurance information and/ or a credit card on file, or patients that have completed a specific form or consent.
Note that when searching for patients who have completed a specific form or questionnaire, you will need to type the questionnaire name exactly (NOT including any date added, which appears in the questionnaire name when filed in patients' charts). And you can only search for one specific form/ questionnaire at a time, by typing in the form/ questionnaire name and then running the search.
Search for patients that have ANY (or ALL) of specified items in their:
- Assessment/ Plan - searches for anyone with those diagnoses in any encounter Assessment box or their Past Med Hx block
- Rxs - searches patients' prescription medications, including active, administrative (pt reported), expired, discontinued
- Tags - searches for anyone who has those tags checked currently
- Charges - searches for anyone with those charge(s) in their account
- Alternate Plan Options - searches for anyone who has been "prescribed" those supplements, IVs, custom recommendations, or your other custom prescribable items
- Health Maintenance Rules - searches for anyone who is overdue for those health maintenance rules
- Orders - searches for anyone who has had those lab orders, imaging orders, referrals, etc. ordered
Within each category, you can type in the search bar to search for and add one or more criteria one by one. By default, the search will look for patients who have ANY of the items you added. You can use the Options below the search bar to:
- Limit the search to patients who have ALL the specified items
- Limit the search to patients who had those items added in a specific date range
Working with your Search Results
When you click "Generate this Report", the system will generate a list of all patients who match the criteria you provided. You can click on any name that list to open that patient's chart.
Search Within your Search Results
You can re-run the filtered search on your search results to further refine your search. To do this, click at the top of the report where it says "Filter these patients further with a new search." That can be used, for example, to see all patients that had BOTH an Initial Patient Appointment with the doctor and a Health Coaching visit with the health coach during a specific period of time.
View Detailed Results in a Spreadsheet
To view detailed results in a spreadsheet, with expanded demographics, contact, insurance, and tag information for each patient, click at the top right on Export Spreadsheet. Note that if you know you want the spreadsheet, then a shortcut to this step is checking the box to Export as CSV in the search window before clicking Generate this Report.
You can use the CSV/ spreadsheet download to generate a postal mailing list.
- Download and open in your preferred spreadsheet program (e.g., Microsoft Excel).
- Use your preferred spreadsheet program to perform a Mail Merge to generate mailing labels.
Generate a list of emails (e.g., for sending an email blast)
To get a list of all the email addresses for patients on your list - for example, to send a mass email to those specific patients - click at the top right of the report where it says "Output List of Emails." You can then copy and paste the resulting comma-separated list of emails into your email BCC field or your newsletter management program.
If you need the emails in spreadsheet or CSV format to upload into a specific program, you can instead use the Export as CSV/ Export Spreadsheet option, and delete any unneeded columns before uploading.
*** Note: DO NOT send mass emails from your regular email account, as this may cause your email address to be placed on a SPAM registry. We strongly recommend instead using a dedicated mass emailing program or newsletter management program to ensure the highest deliverability and avoid being flagged as a spammer.
Related keywords: email list, newsletter, mass email