DetailsYou can find this feature under Admin > Advanced Pt Search. Clicking on Advanced Patient Search (or Filtered Search in the submenu) will open up a search window with a wide variety of filter options. You can select one or more criteria filters to generate a list of matching patients. This list can then be converted into a printable or CSV (spreadsheet) download.
The Advanced Patient Search has several subsections that will ask for various information. Here are details on each of these sections.
Filter/ Search Options
You can filter/ search by one or more of the following. If you select multiple different search criteria, the search results will show patients that match ALL of the criteria (except where indicated specifically otherwise below and in the search window).
1. Patient Demographics/Status
Search/filter by gender, age, patient status, birth month/day/year, primary assigned provider, race, and whether or not the patient has an upcoming appointment. location.
2. Patient Location
Search/filter by country, state/province, city, and zip/postal code
3. Patient Date Filters
Filters patients based on services/appointments that did or did not occur within a specific date range.
- Services: Filters by patients who has or has not receive services, regardless of the service type. (Encounter note has been opened)
- Physical Visit: Filters patients who have had or have not had a scheduled visit.
- Registered/Added to the system: Filters based on the date a patient's chart was or was not added to the system.
- First Appointment: Filters based on if a patient has had or has not had their first appointment, regardless of type.
- Appointment Types & Providers: Filters is a patient has had or has not had a specific type of appointment, and/or if the patient has seen or has not seen a specific provider
- Charges or Payments: Filter patients who have had or have not had charges or payments. Note, this will filter for both charges and payments, regardless of the type.
4. Information on File
Look for patients that do or do not have insurance information and/ or a credit card on file, or patients that have completed a specific form or consent.
Note that you can only search for one specific form/consent at a time. For the most accurate results, you will need to enter the name of the form exactly how it appears in the questionnaire manager.
Search for patients that have ANY (or ALL) of specified items in their:
- Assessment/ Plan - searches for anyone with those diagnoses in any encounter Assessment box or their Past Med Hx block
- Rxs - searches patients' prescription medications, including active, administrative (pt reported), expired, discontinued
- Tags - searches for anyone who has those tags checked currently
- Charges - searches for anyone with those charge(s) in their account
- Alternate Plan Options - searches for anyone who has been "prescribed" those supplements, IVs, custom recommendations, or your other custom "prescription" items
- Health Maintenance Rules - searches for anyone who is overdue for those health maintenance rules
- Orders - searches for anyone who has had those lab orders, imaging orders, referrals, etc.
Within each category, you can type in the search bar to search for and add one or more criteria one by one. By default, the search will look for patients who have ANY of the items you added. You can use the Options below the search bar to:
- Limit the search to patients who have ALL the specified items.
- Limit the search to patients who had those items added in a specific date range.
Working with your Search Results
When you click "Generate this Report", the system will generate a list of all patients who match the criteria you provided. You can click on any name on the list to open that patient's chart.
Search Within your Search Results
You can re-run the filtered search on your search results to further refine your search. To do this, click at the top of the report where it says "Filter these patients further with a new search." That can be used, for example, to see all patients that had BOTH an Initial Patient Appointment with the doctor and a Health Coaching visit with the health coach during a specific period of time.
Search for patients who DO NOT match certain criteria
If for example, you want to find all patients who are NOT tagged with a certain tag - First, run an initial search for tag that you want to exclude. Then click the link at the top to "Filter these patients further with a new search". In the search box that appears in the new window, you have the option to "exclude members" of that first search from a second search that you run. In that window, do not modify any of the parameters, just scroll down and click the Generate button. That should generate a list of all your patients, excluding those in that first search.
View Detailed Results in a Spreadsheet
To view detailed results in a spreadsheet, with expanded demographics, contact, insurance, and tag information for each patient, click at the top right on Export Spreadsheet. Note that if you know you want the spreadsheet, then a shortcut to this step is checking the box to Export as CSV in the search window before clicking Generate this Report.
You can use the CSV/ spreadsheet download to generate a postal mailing list.
- Download and open in your preferred spreadsheet program (e.g., Microsoft Excel).
- Use your preferred spreadsheet program to perform a Mail Merge to generate mailing labels.
Generate a list of emails (e.g., for sending an email blast)
To get a list of all the email addresses for patients on your list - for example, to send a mass email to those specific patients - click at the top right of the report where it says "Output List of Emails." You can then copy and paste the resulting comma-separated list of emails into your email BCC field or your newsletter management program.
If you need the emails in spreadsheet or CSV format to upload into a specific program, you can instead use the Export as CSV/ Export Spreadsheet option, and delete any unneeded columns before uploading.
*** Note: DO NOT send mass emails from your regular email account, as this may cause your email address to be placed on a SPAM registry. We strongly recommend instead using a dedicated mass emailing program or newsletter management program to ensure the highest deliverability and avoid being flagged as a spammer.
Advanced Patient Search Sub-Menu
The advanced Patient Search also offers a submenu that allows you to generate specific reports via Admin > Advanced Pt Search > [sub menu title]. All of these reports can be downloaded as a spreadsheet.
1. Free Text Patient Search
This allows you to search your patient charts for one or more specific phrases. You can customize this search to include different components of the patient's chart such as SOAP Notes, Documents, Comments in Note Blocks, and Sticky Notes.
2. Filtered Search
This directs to you to the main Advanced Pt Search.
3. Health Maintenance Report
This allows you to search for patients who are overdue for specific rules that have been set up in the Health Maintenance Tracker. You can search for all rules at once, or one rule at a time, as well as selecting specific dates for when the rule(s) apply. This report can be exported as a spreadsheet, or can be converted a list of emails to help you more quickly reach out to affected patients.
4. Unread Sent Messages Report
This report lists all patients who were sent portal messages during a specific time-period but who have not yet read those messages. Messages are considered "read" once a patient has logged into the portal AND visited the Secure Message tab. You also have the option to include unsent messages that are scheduled for the future.
This article was originally published on December 5th, 2019, and was most recently updated on August 17th, 2021.
Other keywords: email list, newsletter, mass email, bulk email