- Click here to view our livestream on Alternate Plans!
You can use Alternate Plan Options to formally "prescribe" your own custom recommendations, lifestyle rxs, etc., as well as things like supplements and IV infusions, in the plan block of an encounter note. There are two distinct types of Alternate Plan Options:
- One is used to share simply a block of text (instructions, patient education, etc.) with the patient. Recommendations and lifestyle rxs fall into this category. The text may be the entirety of what you are sharing with the patient, or may, for example, include links to external resources or refer patients to handouts that you have shared with them in the Labs and Documents tab of their Patient Portal.
- The other is to prescribe Alternate Plan Options that are associated with instructions to the patient as well as pre-configured, editable/customizable dosing information. This category includes supplements (which have dosing profiles) and IV infusions (which have ingredient formulations).
Alternate Plan Options are organized by category, and any categories that you have in your database will be shown to you when you hover over the plus icon in the Plan block of an open encounter note. Select a category to bring up a search bar to search for and prescribe an item of that type from your database. You may edit the dosing information or instructions to the patient before you add it to the Plan.
Add a New Alternate Plan Item
To add a new custom prescribable item to your Alternate Plan Options list, Go to Admin > Manage... > Alternate Plan Options. Click the Add New button.
Alternate Plan Name (free text, required)
The name of the item (e.g., "Vitamin D", "Elimination Diet", "Meditation", etc.). This is the name the patient will see when the item is prescribed and the name you will use to search for the item when you want to prescribe it.
Action Type (drop down menu)
This is the category of item you're adding. This can be a supplement, a lifestyle rx, or another category you have created. If you have not yet created the category you want, choose the option to create a new type. This will be saved for future use, appearing in the drop down menu when you add a new plan option in the future.
- "Supplement" is the type that should be used when adding vitamins or nutritional supplements to your database for the first time. The system is set up to associate items of this type with a dosing profile, so that you can specify dosing information and instructions when you are prescribing the supplement.
- "IV Infusion" is another special type of Alternate Plan Item. Any entry of type "IV Infusion" will be associated with a formulation/ingredients list.
- "Injection" is another special type of Alternate Plan Item. Any entry of type "Injection" will be associated with a formulation/ingredients list.
- "Tincture" can be used for a mix of herbs or other mixture that you formulate on site, and want to specify/ save the formulation for future reference, and/ or to be able to generate a label for your mixture later on.
Code/ID # (free text field, rarely used)
The formal product code, if applicable.
Nickname (free text field)
Other names for your alternate plan item that you might want to use when searching for the item. These nicknames will be searchable in MD HQ in addition to the formal name of the plan item. Separate multiple nicknames with commas.
Description (text area)
This is a description of the alternate plan item. And this description is shared with the patient when you "prescribe" the Alternate Plan Item. You are given the option to edit this information before you add it to the Plan for a particular patient. So, you might enter default or generic text here that you modify when prescribing it for a particular patient.
Alternate Plan Options with Dosing or Ordering Profiles
Supplements, IV Infusions, Injections, and Tinctures are special types of Alternate Plan Items that have dosing profiles associated with them, rather than just the text description/ instructions. You will be given the option to create the default dosing profile when you first add the new item. Or you can specify/ edit the default profile using the link provided above the Alternate Plan Name when you click on an item in your database to edit it. Or you can check a box at the bottom of the dosing window when prescribing an item to save those settings as a new default dosing profile.
By default, the Instructions in the dosing profile will pull from the Description, unless you save different text in the Instructions.